General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Satellite Gateway Operations Specialist
at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
- Job Location
- Required Clearance
- Top Secret
- Technicians/Technical Support
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor's degree in a related specialized area or field or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 0 years of relevant experience
Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) has an exciting opportunity for you to become a part of the Enhanced Mobile Satellite Services (EMSS) operations team as a Satellite Gateway Operations Specialist for the Iridium satellite-based communications system's gateway in Wahiawa, HI. In this role you will support the warfighter with a talented group of operators by providing Tier One support to subject matter experts, customers and government management. The successful candidate will have a direct impact through real-time monitoring and troubleshooting of all subsystems within the EMSS gateway. This position will be part of a team that provides 24/7 satellite network operations monitoring and support for the ground station that is part of the Iridium satellite-based communications system.
The Satellite Gateway Operations Specialist will:
- Monitor status of network elements, to include switching equipment, radio equipment and data communications equipment
- Respond to and clear alarms, perform fault isolation and issue trouble tickets
- Serve as a shift supervisor and function as the lead point of contact at times
- Maintain and compile records, reports, graphs, and charts
The successful Satellite Gateway Operations Specialist must have the following:
- An understanding of Redhat Enterprise Linux and Solaris 10 from an end-user perspective i.e., navigating file-system, manipulating files, light shell scripting and use of built-in tools
- A working knowledge of TCP/IP networking
- Available for shift work (24 hours a day 7 days a week)
The ideal Satellite Gateway Operations Specialist will have the following:
• Experience in a Network Operations Control Center (NOC) environment
• Knowledge of LEO / GEO satellite communications
• Experience with GSM telecommunications standards
• Experience with EM7 and Compass
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran