Great American Insurance Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Underwriting Trainee - Graduate Development Program - Hawaii
at Great American Insurance Group
- Job ID
- # Positions
National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
The Ignition Graduate Development Program program at National Interstate is an exciting way for college graduates to enter the workforce and not only become experts in their field, but truly understand the business that they work for!
• Spend 5 weeks in intense classroom and on-the-job training
• Gain a deep understanding of our business model and value proposition
• Get exposed to other areas of the business outside of your discipline
• Shadow corporate meetings and gain a broad understanding of our place in the market
• Have access to senior management throughout the program
- Participates in / performs activities related to risk selection / rejection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Learns to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Learns to maintain a high level of customer service.
- Learns to analyze coverage and limit requests and to decide what terms to offer.
- Learns to price business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Learns to assess risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and to initiate appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Learns to order and screen miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Learns to develop and maintain effective business relationships with internal and external customers / coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Interprets, explains and markets products and services.
- Develops relationships with agents & brokers through telephone interactions.
- Learns to apply underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
- Successfully completes all coursework / education as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree. Graduation December 2019 or May 2020
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Experience: Typically part of a formal training program. No prior experience required.
We are looking for someone to join our Hawaii Underwriting Department after their graduation. The candidate will ideally have graduated December 2019 or May 2020. They must complete a 5 week orientation at our Headquarters in Ohio in June 2020. They will work permanently in our Hawaii office after the orientation is complete.