Hawaii State Judiciary
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accountant VI (Payroll) - Honolulu, O`ahu
at Hawaii State Judiciary
Pay: up to $64476.00/year
Salary : $5,373.00 Monthly
Job Reference #: 2557842
Overall Job Objective
|Job Title:||Accountant VI (Payroll) - Honolulu, O`ahu|
|Recruitment Number 19-108AN, Accountant VI (Payroll), SR-26, Honolulu, O`ahu.|
Note: The recruitment for this position is being announced at both the Accountant V and Accountant VI levels. Please see Accountant V, Recruitment Number 19-107AN.
|Summary of Duties:|
|This position is responsible for developing, planning, coordinating, and supervising the preparation, audit and accounting of the Judiciary's payroll and related pay claims for compliance with Federal and State laws, collective bargaining contracts, rules and regulations, executive orders, attorney general opinions, generally accepted accounting practices and principles, and established policies and procedures; and performs other duties as required.|
|Minimum Qualification Requirements:|
|Education Requirement: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with at least twelve (12) semester hours in accounting and/or auditing subjects.|
Specialized Experience: Three and one-half (3-1/2) years of professional accounting or auditing experience, which may have included the teaching of accounting at the university level.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience in such positions as the following will not be accepted as qualifying professional experience:
1) bookkeeper or minor accounting or clerical positions;
2) accounting or bookkeeping machine operators;
3) such positions as those of office managers or owners of businesses who supervise accountants, auditors or bookkeepers, but do not participate in the accounting or auditing work with responsibility for its technical adequacy; and
4) positions concerned with taxation matters not requiring the application of generally accepted accounting and auditing principles.
Supervisory or Staff Specialist Experience Requirement: One (1) year of supervisory or staff specialist experience of the type and quality described below:
1. Supervisory Experience: Professional accounting or auditing experience which included: (1) Planning and directing the work of others; (2) assigning and reviewing their work; (3) advising them of difficult problem areas; (4) timing and scheduling their work; and (5) training and developing employees.
2. Staff Specialist Experience: Professional work experience as a staff specialist in a specialized area of accounting (such as operations, systems or fund control) or in auditing which involved performing work regularly encompassing difficult and complex situations and unique problems. Such work experience generally involves responsibility for leading studies and projects and making recommendations to management for the development or revision of standards, policies, or procedures; providing technical advice and direction to management and/or line departments; leading and conducting research for the purpose of implementing or improving accounting/auditing system(s); and/or developing guides to be used by management and/or line departments in the performance of accounting/auditing work; and participating in program planning and evaluation. (Examples of this type of professional work include, but are not limited to: Accountant V, Auditor V, Internal Control Analyst V, etc.)
Selective Certification Requirement (Payroll): Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience involved in or working with governmental or comparable payroll system. This experience may be gained concurrently with the required Specialized Experience. There is no allowable education substitution for this requirement.
Substitutions of Experience for Education:
The following types of experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Testing Information: All applicants who qualify under the provisions of A, B, and C below will be required to qualify on a written test on accounting principles, theories and practices.
A. Professional accounting or auditing experience.
B. Responsible experience which involved maintaining and/or reconciling general journals and general ledger accounts and related books and accounts, and preparing balance sheets, profit and loss statements and related to accounting and financial reports; identifying significant changes in account balances and reviewing transactions to identify the actions which caused the changes; conducting accounts examinations including preparing worksheets or reports reflecting the examination made, discrepancies noted, and the corrective entries required to adjust accounts; and making estimates of operating procedures, and needs requirements for operating budgets. Experience which qualified for substitution must have included the preparation and/or analysis of financial statements and accounting reports.
C. Any Combination of A and B above.
Substitutions for Experience and Education:
A. Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 24 semester hour credits in accounting subjects may be substituted for one-half (1/2) year of Specialized Experience.
B. Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two (2) years of Specialized Experience.
C. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Certificate obtained through written examination is qualifying for the Education and Specialized Experience requirements for the I through V levels.
| Supplemental Information:|
|The following information must be submitted by mail or hand-delivered to: Hawai`i State Judiciary, Human Resources Department, 426 Queen Street, First Floor, Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813.|
Education: If you are using education as a substitute for experience, you must submit a copy of your official transcripts or diploma at the time of application. If you are selected, you will need an official transcript (not a copy) indicating the completion of the training or the awarding of the appropriate degree.