Hawaii State Judiciary
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Library Technician VI - Honolulu, O`ahu
at Hawaii State Judiciary
|Job Title:||Library Technician VI - Honolulu, O`ahu|
|Recruitment Number 19-115AN, Library Technician VI, SR-14, Honolulu, O`ahu.|
|Summary of Duties:|
|Within the Judiciary's law library system, performs para-professional work of more than average complexity in one or more of the functional areas of librarianship.|
|Minimum Qualification Requirements:|
General Experience: One (1) year of clerical work experience which demonstrated knowledge of spelling, arithmetic, the ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions, and compare words and numbers quickly and accurately. The applicant's General Experience must also demonstrate knowledge of and ability to perform various clerical procedures, operate various kinds of office equipment, and deal with others in a tactful and polite manner.
Specialized Experience: Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in a library which involved performing various library support activities (e.g., circulation work, stack maintenance, processing orders for library materials, posting receipt of periodicals and other materials, locating and verifying bibliographic information using standard sources, etc.) and which demonstrated knowledge of and required the application of library terminology, practices, policies and procedures and understanding of the nature and organization of library materials.
The Specialized Experience must also demonstrate knowledge and understanding of various elements related to the organization of library materials, including elements of bibliographic description, catalog card elements and general format, standard library tools and reference sources (e.g., Library of Congress Subject Headings, Books in Print, Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature), classification scheme(s) (e.g., Dewey Decimal, Library of Congress), and/or the nature of various types of publications and materials. At least one (1) year of the required specialized experience must have been comparable to the next lower level, Library Technician V.
For some positions, applicants must demonstrate possession of supervisory aptitude. Supervisory Aptitude is the demonstration of aptitude or potential for the performance of supervisory duties through successful completion of regular or special assignments which involve some supervisory responsibilities or aspects; by details to supervisory positions; by completion of training courses in supervision accompanied by application of supervisory skills in work assignments; or by favorable appraisals of a supervisor indicating the possession of supervisory potential.
1. Graduation from high school, or equivalent, may be substituted for six (6) months of General Experience.
2. Graduation from an accredited business or commercial school with a major in clerical curriculum may be substituted for one (1) year of General Experience.
3. Study successfully completed at an accredited junior college or community college may be substituted for General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credit hours or its equivalent in quarter credit hours for each six (6) months of General Experience up to a maximum of one (1) year. In order to receive credit under this substitution, applicants must have the appropriate number of course credits in areas such as arts and humanities, language arts, mathematics, natural sciences, social sciences and English. Courses in occupational skills such as typing, stenography, carpentry, blueprint reading, welding, etc., are non-qualifying.
4. Partial completion of coursework in a baccalaureate program at an accredited college or university may be substituted for General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credit hours for each six (6) months of General Experience, up to a maximum of one (1) year.
5. Partial completion of coursework in a two-year library science or technology curriculum from an accredited community college or junior college may be substituted for General or Specialized Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours, of which at least three (3) semester hours were in library science or technology for each six (6) months of General or Specialized Experience up to a maximum of one (1) year of General or Specialized Experience.
6. An Associate of Science or comparable degree in a two-year library science or technology curriculum from an accredited community college or junior college may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience and two (2) years of the Specialized Experience.
7. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of General Experience and a maximum of two (2) years of Specialized Experience.
8. Partial completion of graduate level coursework in library science from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the General or Specialized Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester credits for six (6) months of experience on a year-for-year basis up to a maximum of one (1) year of General Experience and two (2) years of Specialized Experience.
9. A master's degree in library science from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of General Experience and two (2) years of the Specialized Experience.
| Supplemental Information:|
|The following information must be submitted as an attachment to your online application, by email: Recruitment@courts.hawaii.gov, or delivered to: Hawai`i State Judiciary, Human Resources, Staffing Services Division, 426 Queen Street, First Floor, Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813.|
Education: If you are using education as a substitute for experience, you must submit a copy of your official transcripts at the time of application. If you are selected, you will need to submit an official transcript (not a copy) indicating the completion of the required course work or the awarding of the appropriate degree.