Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of College Counseling - Academy
at Punahou School
As Punahou School enters into its 179th year, it recognizes the richness of its traditions, as well as its responsibility to deliver a relevant educational experience in a rapidly changing world. It remains anchored in the aim of developing the full potential of each student through a broad and vigorous program of studies and through rich experiences for exploration, growth and mastery. Our faculty attends to the social-emotional and ethical learning of our students via strong relationships, and learning opportunities to foster empathy, resilience, moral reasoning, and social responsibility. Our teachers are agile learners themselves, demonstrating a growth mindset and a commitment to their continual professional development. Incoming teachers will join a dedicated and inspiring faculty whose ongoing reflection and renewal is supported by a school wide culture of collaboration and innovation.
Punahou School is actively recruiting a Director of College Counseling who models open-mindedness, careful listening, lively debate and rigorous independent thought. The ideal candidate will have experience in both higher education enrollment management and secondary school teaching or college counseling, with a strong national reputation on both sides of the desk. The Director will also be an advocate for competency based learning and will embody a commitment to the social emotional and ethical lives of our students. The Director will be a vocal advocate for the students of Punahou School in their transitions to their post-secondary journeys and will also oversee an accomplished office of College Counselors and support staff.
In addition, they will be committed to creating learning environments in which students will:
- Have a keen focus on college fit over college prestige.
- Structure the college search process as an opportunity to learn more about themselves and their aspirations for their futures.
- Develop a sense of their unique abilities and talents along with an appreciation of the diversity of humankind.
- Learn how to function as positive, contributing members of society.
Department: Academy, College Counseling
Status: Full Time Regular
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Year: 10.5 months, 2020-2021 School Year
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's Degree or Doctorate in Education (Practice/Methods) preferred.
- Seven (7) years of professional experience at the high school and/or postsecondary level, and/or in college admissions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent cross-cultural skills.
- Ability and passion for work with a broad and diverse range of students and families.