Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
English Faculty, Middle School - Junior School, Grades 6-8
at Punahou School
Case Middle School
Punahou School celebrates the richness of its traditions as it embraces the responsibility to provide a relevant educational experience in a rapidly changing world. Punahou places students at the center of the curriculum, with the aim of authentic learning in a sequence and pace that is coherent and purposeful to the individual child. A Punahou education seeks to provide multiple pathways towards growth and success for each student through a broad and meaningful program of studies and through rich experiences for exploration, discovery and mastery. Working within a coherent curricular framework that promotes personalized, product-oriented, inquiry-based learning embedded in authentic, meaningful assessments, Punahou seeks to cultivate curious, confident, and self-directed students. We value the rich opportunities for teaching and learning that are inherent Hawaiian values and in the gift of “place” at Punahou. Our faculty attends to the social-emotional learning of our students via intentional opportunities to provide an environment and a range of learning experiences that educate our children for compassionate, moral, and ethical action at school, in our community, and in the world. Our teachers are agile learners themselves, demonstrating a growth mindset and a commitment to their continual professional development. Incoming teachers will join a dedicated and inspiring faculty whose ongoing reflection and renewal is supported by a schoolwide culture of collaboration and innovation.
In the middle school, the classroom experience is designed around an interdisciplinary teaming model. Candidates should possess the demonstrated ability to function as members of the interdisciplinary teams with the ability to integrate technology into the curriculum and learn new technologies; to interact with students in a variety of instructional settings which include multiple learning centers, outdoor experiences. The ideal candidate will have a passion for teaching middle school students and possess the traits needed to work with middle schoolers. Middle school teachers also serve as an advisor to 12-14 students. The Advisor serves as an advocate for the middle school child and communicates with the child, parents, academic dean, and teachers as needed. Advisors also lead advisory activities. Candidates should be comfortable with leading the advisory program curriculum that is centered on character education and social-emotional and ethical learning (SEEL).
Department: Junior School, Middle School English
Status: Full Time Temporary
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Year: January 2020 - March 2020
Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a background in the academic area for which applying. Master’s degree preferred.
- Three (3) years of recent experience working in a middle school or a combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds; an understanding of the developmental needs of adolescents, sensitivity to each individual student’s needs; and ability to appreciate the variety of perspectives offered by individual viewpoints, disciplines and cultural understandings.
- Strong knowledge and instructional methodologies to implement the content area curriculum that provides the opportunity for students to develop their reading, writing, communicating, and thinking skills to the fullest degree, preparing them for college and for challenges facing them now and in the future.
- The proven ability to work cooperatively within a grade level and team to modify and develop materials and assessments within an articulated curricular framework that is embedded in the school's mission, vision, and aims.
- The ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, parents, and other members of the Punahou community.
- The ability to use information competently in critical thinking, decision-making, and problem solving.
- Knowledge about current research on teaching and learning for this age group and skilled in applying its findings to a variety of situations – particularly those that call upon students to access, evaluate, and use information from multiple sources in order to learn, to think, and to create and apply new knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills with the ability to respond effectively. Ability to communicate effectively in large and small group settings.
- Knowledge of basic software applications and the ability to integrate technology effectively in teaching and learning.
- Excellent organizational skills; the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines during a consistently fast paced, time-sensitive school year.
- The flexibility to meet job requirements beyond the school day.
- Proven leadership and class management skills.
- Excellent work ethic; models respect, honesty, and integrity.
- Demonstrated history of maximizing impact of a variety of professional development opportunities to improve student learning. The ability and willingness to learn enthusiastically as a member of a Professional Learning Community, and to connect with local, national, and global Professional Learning Networks.