Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substitute Teacher, Math - Academy, Grades 9-12
at Punahou School
Fulfilling Punahou’s mission of creating the conditions and opportunities for students to reach their full potential is at the core of our daily work as a school. Each and every educational interaction holds the promise of making a positive impact on a child’s life. Substitute teachers are essential members of our school community; they impact students on a daily basis in meaningful and mission-driven ways through their versatility in the classroom.
Punahou School is currently recruiting Substitute Teachers that will support grades 9-12. The substitute program provides a valuable service to our students and assist in delivering a quality instructional program when faculty need to be away from class for professional development, heath or personal reasons. The ideal candidates will have the ability to adapt to diverse classroom environments and be capable of the smooth delivery of ongoing instructional programs in the absence of the classroom teacher. If you thrive in a team-oriented and collaborative environment, have excellent communication skills, the ability to use classroom time appropriately and wisely, and are able to motivate students to maximize learning opportunities, we invite you to apply!
Department: Academy, Grades 9-12
Status: Casual Per Diem
Work Year: 9 Month, 2019–2020 School Year
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM. Schedule may vary based on operational needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of subject areas, grade-level curriculum, and content.
- Demonstrated familiarity with curriculum, teaching methods and assessment frameworks in the subjects and age ranges; and age-related expectations of students.
- Ability to administer and interpret a variety of assessments.
- Working familiarity with assistive technologies, Internet and Email systems, word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Familiarity with computers (Apple) and their use in instruction to enhance student learning.
- Working knowledge of various office and video equipment.
- Knowledge of educational software.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Three (3) years of experience working in a high school setting.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds; an understanding of the developmental needs of adolescents, sensitivity to each individual student’s needs; and ability to appreciate the variety of perspectives offered by individual viewpoints, disciplines and cultural understandings.