Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Architectural Engineer ● Honolulu, HI
at Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
The Honolulu office of Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking extraordinary graduates in architecture or architectural engineering to contribute with a collaborative team to solve complex engineering problems. We are growing our team and looking for individuals ready to expand their career.
An Architectural Engineer with WJE will work on projects for existing structures, including structures that have experienced failures.
As a team member, the candidate will assist with all aspects of project work under the direction of various project managers. The projects we conduct will expose you to investigations, testing, failure diagnosis, repair construction, new construction, as well as unique projects outside of the realm of traditional architecture. As an associate you will be expected to assume primary responsibility for key aspects of projects; and complete assignments with limited oversight.
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates (WJE) is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our applied experience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
- A passion, and the curiosity for investigating and solving problems in new and existing buildings
- An interest in the details and performance of architectural systems, including building enclosure systems
- Bachelor's degree (master's degree preferred) in architecture or architectural engineering
- Candidates with up to five years of experience will be considered
- Drafting experience with AutoCAD
- Outstanding Character, unwavering Commitment, strong Expertise and genuine Enthusiasm
- Conducts on-site investigations to document existing conditions and determine the cause(s) of problems in existing enclosures
- Reviews and critiques existing or proposed drawings to understand enclosure design
- Analyzes research and investigation data and develops alternate schemes for solving problems
- Conducts on-site observations of construction and repairs in progress, prepares site visit reports, and develops responses to requests for information
- Brainstorms complex problems with team members to determine viable and efficient solutions
- Energy and Enthusiasm - consistently maintains high levels of activity and productivity
- Attention to Detail - careful, thorough, and quality-oriented
- Communication - clearly conveys information with excellent writing and oral skills
- Assumes Responsibility - self-starter with willingness to interact as a team player and take independent initiative
- Interest in WJE work - has a passion for solving problems with existing structures
- Teachable - quickly grasps new concepts
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as a computer, printer, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to work safely in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans. (VEVRAA federal contractor)
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.