Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Structural Engineer ? Honolulu, HI
at Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, inc.
The Honolulu office of Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking a structural engineer to contribute to a collaborative team at solving complex structural engineering problems.
- Master’s degree in Structural Engineering; or a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering
- Strong computer skills, including AutoCAD and Microsoft Office
- Ability and interest in performing work in the field
- Ability to travel outside the local area, depending on local workload and project locations
- Desire to work towards professional licensure as an Architect or Professional Engineer
- Conducts on-site investigations to document existing conditions and determine the cause(s) of problems in existing structures
- Organizes field data to facilitate analysis and problem solving
- Researches historical background of structure, technical issues, and code issues
- Analyzes research and investigation data and develops alternate schemes for solving problems
- Brainstorms complex problems with team members to determine viable and efficient solutions
- Prepares investigation reports and bid documents, including drawings and technical specifications
- Reviews contractor submittals
- Conducts on-site observations of structural repair work in progress, prepare site visit reports, and develops responses to requests for information
- Energy and Enthusiasm - consistently maintains high levels of activity and productivity
- Attention to Detail - careful, thorough, and quality-oriented
- Communication - clearly conveys information with excellent writing and oral skills
- Assumes Responsibility - self-starter with willingness to interact as a team player and take independent initiative.
- Interest in WJE work - has a passion for solving problems with existing structures.
- Teachable - quickly grasps new concepts
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at the various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans. (VEVRAA federal contractor)
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.